Good news my chilly friends, I have a bad-ass orange ginger cocoa recipe!
I am a strong believer that hot cocoa or as it is otherwise known as hot chocolate is the perfect chilly weather compliment any time of the year. Likewise, I am sure you also agree that homemade hot cocoa is the only way to go. Which is why I am sharing my bad-ass orange ginger cocoa recipe. Just a heads up, this is the second to last edition of the wet coast winter series. My final recipe for the winter series will be on the 23rd of December.
As the holiday season continues, I find that the over indulgence of libations makes my body weary. Consequently, I am giving you a recipe today that is friendly for your whole family and you (aka your liver).
Why not just Hot cocoa?
Since the 1930’s people have been in agreement that orange and chocolate are perfect together. While I couldn’t agree more, sometimes adding spices can take mixtures to the next level. So, including fresh ginger root in this recipe, not only provides a spice but is also natural. Awesome right?
For this orange ginger cocoa I am using unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa power, mainly for convenience. However, if you prefer to use actual chocolate (I applaud you!) I would recommend shaving it. Then add it in a similar manner as I give in the recipe.
Let’s satisfy your orange & chocolate cravings
Orange Ginger Cocoa Recipe
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Yield: 2 – 4 Servings
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Teaspoons peeled, chopped fresh ginger root
1/4 Teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
4 Tablespoons unsweetened, dark cocoa powder (for my vegan friends, use pure cocao nibs)
The zest of 1/2 of an organic orange
1 cup milk (or coconut milk for my vegan friends)
- Start by combining the brown sugar, ginger, orange zest, cinnamon and vanilla extract inside a small food processor. Blend for one minute, stirring if needed.
- Next add the cocoa powder and a pinch of salt. Then continue to blend until the mixture is even.
- Then in a separate small pot, combine the milk and water and warm on low heat over the stove.
- Once the milk-water mixture warms to a simmer, begin to add small quantities of the warmed liquid into the cocoa mixture with a spoon or ladle. Add 1 tablespoon of liquid at a time, stirring well as you go.
- Once the cocoa mixture has become a thin paste, very slowly transfer it back into the small pot of remaining simmering liquid.
- Once the mixture is well mixed and hot, it is ready to be served.
- Finally, serve in small glasses or mugs.
Enjoy your mug of bad-ass orange ginger cocoa!